Art Director – Designer - Illustrator
WORK EXPERIENCE SKILLS
1990 - 2018 ART DIRECTOR, DESIGNER: ART
SETS, COSTUMES, PROPS, Drawing, painting, faux finishes digital art, Graphics and
CONCEPT ARTIST/ILLUSTRATOR teaching; commercial art, painting costume design for illustration and
YAKOVETIC PRODUCTIONS theatre arts.
2017 ART DIRECTOR
ITEC Entertainment, FL
2004 - 2005 ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER TECHNOLOGY
Innoventions; DISNEYLAND Mac: Adobe Creative Suit with an emphasis on Photoshop.
Some experience with Illustrator and In-design.
1986 - 2005 ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER Proficient with Wacom Tablet, Wacom Cintiq and MS Word
TRADER JOE’S KNOWLEDGE
MARANATHA! MUSIC 20 years experience designing experience-based attractions
for world-class theme parks designing and fabricating exhibits,
1998 – 2005 COSTUME, PROP events, set/scenery, environments and retail.
ATTRACTION DESIGN & 20 years production design and field experience based on Disney and Universal creative standards.
CONCEPT ART Ability to communicate complex artistic ideas through combination
WALT DISNEY CO. of written and visual and materials. In depth knowledge of color theory,
FELD ENTERTAINMENT art history, scenic painting techniques, sculpture, architecture,
RENAISSANCE ENTERTAINMENT perspective, theatrical lighting techniques and storytelling.
1992 – 2013 BOOK ILLUSTRATIONS,
HARD LINES ART
DISNEY PUBLISHING, GOLDEN BOOKS,
TORR PUBLISHING, HARCOURT BRACE
AWARDS & HONORS
- Outstanding Contribution to the Arts – CYPRESS RECREATION & COMMUNITY SERVICES COMMISSION
- Community service – AMERICAN LEGION AWARD OF HONOR
- Theatre Fellowship Award for Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design
– CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY FULLERTON
- DRAMALOGUE, ROBBY AWARD & MADDI AWARD – (1) Costume (4) Set Design
1971 – 1998 BACHELORS OF ARTS: ILLUSTRATION, COSTUMING, FINE ART, SCREENWRITING at CSUF with 3.30 GPA
LIFETIME TEACHING CREDENTIAL – ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Community College, Adult Education
Theater Production, Painting and Commercial Art
Develop visual design direction and define design elements of the assigned project that affect the guest experience. Accomplished with many different methods, including, but not limited to; creating sketches, illustrations, models, composite imagery and image research documentation. Supervise others to develop those design ideas.
Oversee and direct design, fabrication and installation of all on-stage project elements to ensure the creative intent is achieved as envisioned by the Creative Director. Project elements such as – architecture, scenic art, scenery, props, animation, show action, special FX, and lighting.
Collaborate with internal talent and external vendors to execute the desired vision. Direct art related vendors and any scenic scope that requires art direction.
In collaboration with the Creative Director, act as design ‘vision-keeper’ for the project, maintaining a cohesive design in all elements associated with the project through all phases of design and development.
Create and present project materials to internal and external audiences to communicate project concept, content and status.
Work with the Show Producer to identify and procure talent and resources necessary complete the project.
Act as project liaison with internal and external partners, licensors, and intellectual property developers as needed.
THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY –(Disney Stores, Disneyland, Imagineering) Burbank, Anaheim
ITEC ENTERTAINMENT – Orlando, FL
MARANATHA! MUSIC – Costa Mesa, CA
LA MIRADA THEATRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS – La Mirada, CA
CYPRESS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
NBC Television – Burbank, CA
MGM Studios – Culver City, CA
THE MAGIC CASTLE - Hollywood, CA
DREAMWORKS – Los Angeles, CA
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS – Universal City, CA
RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL PRODUCTIONS – New York, NY
RIDE AND SHOW ENGINEERING – San Dimas, CA
RENAISSANCE ENTERTAINMENT – Orlando, FL
LEAP FROG TOYS – Racine, Il
AMERICAN RED CROSS – Washington D.C.
TRADER JOE'S - Cypress, CA
The Walt Disney Company
• Effectively managed a creative team comprised of different companies, to build the Disneyland attraction; “Say ‘Hello!’
to Honda’s ASIMO” for Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary. As art director, I designed the theater, graphics that wrapped
the theater, the set, props, and art directed video clips for stage show and designed posters and banners, coordinated
production within a very tight deadline. Working knowledge of construction and material usage.
• Designed the railings and colonnade with Disney characters surrounding the “Partners” statue in Disneyland’s Hub.
• Art Directed/designed multiple Interactive attractions for Disneyland and WDS Innoventions, overseeing construction
and fabrication for each attraction. (Finding Nemo, Haunted Mansion and TRON)
• Art Directed Award Winning Animated windows for the Disney Stores. Overseeing construction, fabrication and installation.
• Exercised leadership in managing, scheduling and coordinating a team of artists to produce 24 completed books in
one year, ensuring character and design consistency and integrity.
• Successfully managed art direction for over half of an 18 book series, “Disney’s Storytime Treasures Library.”
Effectively working from concept development through final art execution.
• Launched Disney’s most successful book series; “The Little Mermaid Treasure Chest.”
• Translated the Disney movie experience through compelling storybook designs and layouts.
• Art Directed over 60 Disney and PIXAR books. Job included interviewing and hiring artists.
• Art Directed and effectively managed a creative team comprised of eight show designers for a proposed theme park in
• Demonstrated a working knowledge of construction and material usage.
• Successfully managed art direction to design five separate theme park attractions. Effectively working from early
concept development through final art execution.
Marantha! Music – Art Director, Product development, Illustrator, Marketing and Advertising
• Exercised leadership in managing, scheduling and coordinating a team of artists to produce the 7 record album series,
“Sleepy Time Helper,” ensuring character and design consistency and integrity.
• Art Directed and Spear headed translating the “Kids Praise” albums into a “theme park” atmosphere for a successful
trade show event, creating greater brand exposure.
• Created the characters and established the style for successful children’s record series: “Colby” and “Nannybird.”
Established character and background designs that translated into live performance costumed characters and sets.
• Successfully redesigned characters and branding for “Kids Praise” series by making the characters more ‘Kid friendly’,
giving them more expressive faces, adding gloved hands and appropriate footwear, establishing this series as the top
seller in the Christian Children’s market.
• Suggested printing CD’s for children’s product line when only adult music was in CD form.
Cypress Community College
• Launched a totally new and successful Summer Theater Workshop a special program coordinating classes in acting,
voice, dance, tech and production for six weeks culminating in a full scale stage production with the students taking the
• Scheduled and budgeted six week workshop.
• Taught production classes on costuming, choreography and acting
• Brought in guest celebrity talent to discuss: acting; Janet Leigh, costuming; Walter Plunkett and choreography; Miriam
• Art Directed entire production, including set and costume designs.
• Hired teaching staff to conduct workshop
• Art Directed and coordinated collateral material including publicity, programs and program advertisement.
• Consistently demonstrated excellent drawing and conceptualization skills with an understanding of form, composition,
and attention to detail, with quick and accurate courtroom sketches for News programming.
• Proved ability to develop inventive ideas with a sense of entertainment and humor.
• Gifted with exceptional ability to adapt to established styles dictated by Art Directors, taking their direction and
embrace any and all changes.
• Performed hand drawing skills by sketching political cartoons live on camera and as courtroom sketch artist.
American Red Cross
• Art Directed and launched a totally new and successful activity/picture book, “Waddles presents Aquacktic Safety” for kids. Created and developed story, characters, props, backgrounds, logo and style for a book that sold over 9 million copies in five languages. Art Directed proposed video production based on the book.
Leap Frog Toys
• As Art Director hired, managed, scheduled and coordinated a team of artists to produce 15 completed
books, ensuring character and design consistency and integrity.
• Successfully launched the electronic book series: “Leap Frog Books,” adapting their unique technologies into
compelling storybooks and toys through traditional and digital formats.
• Spearheaded overall look and feel, effectively establishing the style and branding through layout, pencils digital final
art for books and promotional material and packaging.
• Redesigned logo for product and collateral material providing a more identifiable and kid friendly product.
• As Art Director hired, managed, scheduled and coordinated a team of artists to fabricate new store interior design, maintainng consistency and integrity.
• Spearheaded overall look and feel, effectively establishing the style and branding through design and layout of store, including signage.
art for books and promotional material and packaging.
• Redesigned store interior providing a more identifiable and customer friendly facility.
La Mirada Symphony – La Mirada, CA
2013 - 2017
• Former board President. Initiated program to introduce new composers by featuring their work as part of the concert
• Coordinate with La Mirada Theatre, art directing special exhibitions in theatre lobby.
Norwalk Public Arts Placement Commission – Norwalk, CA
2012 - 2018
• Recruited artists to design, fabricate and install new art to be featured in the city.
• Conceptualized and Art Directed the “Freedom Memorial” at Norwalk City Hall, dedicated Memorial Day, 2017.
The Professional Dancers Society – Beverly Hills, CA
2003 – Present
• Managed and art direct show, hired rental companies to provide set pieces, and coordinated installation of award
• Board Member 4 years helped to support the Actors Fund and retired dancers.
SHARE Inc. – Beverly Hills, CA
1974 - Present
• Art directed and managed creative teams to fabricate and install décor for annual “Boomtown” fundraising event.
• Helped to raise millions of dollars benefiting special needs children and adults.
• Performed on stage in “Boomtown” event.
• Art Directed and Designed: collateral materials including: programs, invitations, Save the date mailers and annual Day
by Day planner.
• Branded show theme, coordinating with catering, rental companies, printer and joining various departments for a